Wednesday 28 March 2012

Comma Underside

Comma, Polygonia c-album.  Butterfly.  Hayes Common, 23 March 2012.
Comma, Polygonia c-album.  Hayes Common, 23 March 2012.
The undersides of butterflies' wings are completely different from the upper sides. Some are designed for camouflage against dead leaves and bark, like this Comma, which hibernates on branches or among the brown leaf litter.  The upper side is a vivid spotted orange; check out the second photo in this post from July last year.

In this photo, you can see how the Comma gets both its English and Latin names. The white comma, or letter C, stands out beautifully.

This was taken on one of my first spring walks with my EOS D60 and 100mm macro lens.  ( Must remember to wear old trousers for when I fling myself to the ground to take shots like this.)  As well as several Commas I saw a Brimstone and a Peacock. Things are waking up!

When looking for that old photo, I realised that I have been writing this blog for more than a year now. I started on 4th February 2011. I'll try to find some new things to put in it this year, or if not, at least better photos than last year. Better photos is always a target.

No comments:

Post a Comment