Thursday 5 April 2012

Jay

Jay, Garrulus glandarius, perched on a garden fence in Hayes.  28 March 2012.
Jay, Garrulus glandarius, perched on a garden fence in Hayes.  28 March 2012.
I'm not a bird person, but this Jay sat on a garden fence where I could see it from my armchair through the open back door. I watched it for a while, but it seemed to be staying put, so I had to do something or it would have felt like a missed opportunity.  I fetched my binoculars and watched it close up for a while more.  Then I went for my camera and a long lens, sat down again and took some shots. I have never seen a Jay sit still for so long.  Usually I see them working their way along the gardens in the morning, sitting like this for a few seconds on each fence until they have analysed the feeding potential of the garden, then moving on.

1 comment:

  1. Blue Jays (and all of ours are blue) are among the boldest of birds. They come and contend with squirrels for leftover cat kibble on my back stoop. I'll see if I can photograph one. I love the cardinals best, and Papa Cardinal appeared today, but like all of their kind they are very timid.

    ReplyDelete