Monday 5 November 2012

Small White

Small White, Pieris rapae, laying an egg.   Riverside Country Park, 10 August 2012
Small White, Pieris rapae, laying an egg.   Riverside Country Park, 10 August 2012
While I was looking through my Riverside Country Park photos I was reminded of this Small White.  The other members of the group, being botanists, were looking at something else (and I didn't ignore that - it was the Sea-spurrey in my last post) ,  but butterflies always catch my eye and I spotted this to one side.  Small Whites lay single eggs on plants related to cabbages, like this wild crucifer.   This includes the Nasturtiums in your garden, though there you are more likely to find a big cluster of Large White eggs.  

This one is actually in the process of laying an egg, and though you can't see that one, another is visible, at the very top of the photo a little from the right.  

No comments:

Post a Comment