Wednesday 26 June 2013

Some New Moths

White Ermine, Spilosoma lubricipeda.  Arctiidae.  In my garden actinic light trap in Hayes on 12 June 2013.
White Ermine, Spilosoma lubricipeda.  In my garden actinic light trap in Hayes on 12 June 2013.
 Here are a few moths from my garden traps that I did not see there last year.  In fact, I had not seen the Lime Hawkmoth or Pale Tussock anywhere.  They aren't rare, but I am pretty sure I only get a fraction of what lives in the area, and which ones rest in my trap is probably pure chance.   Here are some of the good-lookers that turned up in June.

Lime Hawkmoth, Mimas tiliae.  Sphingidae.   In my garden actinic light trap in Hayes on 19 June 2013.
Lime Hawkmoth, Mimas tiliae.  In my garden actinic light trap in Hayes on 19 June 2013.
 This Lime Hawkmoth is big as British moths go.  It has a 2½ inch wingspan.  It would be a real treat for a bat.

Shears, Hada plebeja.  Noctuidae.   In my garden actinic light trap on the balcony in Hayes on 3 June 2013.
Shears, Hada plebeja.  In my garden actinic light trap on the balcony in Hayes on 3 June 2013.
The Shears is named for part of its pattern that is said to resemble, well, shears. 

Pale Tussock, Calliteara pudibunda.  Lymantriidae.  In my garden actinic light trap on the balcony in Hayes on 14 June 2013.
Pale Tussock, Calliteara pudibunda.  In my garden actinic light trap on the balcony in Hayes on 14 June 2013.
This one is so fluffy that I can't tell where it keeps its eyes!

1 comment:

  1. All those moths are lovely (ours look like your micro types), but the photo of the Ermine is (to me) particularly appealing

    ReplyDelete