Wednesday 5 March 2014

Riddlesdown in Winter

The main track.  Riddlesdown, 12 January 2014.
The main track.  Riddlesdown, 12 January 2014.
I had been to Riddlesdown in lovely colourful summer, but it looks quite different just now. It consists of a long grassy ridge with small areas of woodland.  There is a track that leads from the top at the north end, down the side of the slope at a slant to the bottom at the south end, where there is a disused chalk quarry.  This pic is about halfway along and shows the golden, slanting winter sunlight.  As you can see, people like to stroll along here, including many dog walkers.

The railway crossing.  Riddlesdown, 12 January 2014.
The railway crossing.  Riddlesdown, 12 January 2014.
Right at the bottom the track comes out to a road, but almost immediately there is a narrow path up to the left. It is marked "steep", which struck me as unusual.  But the warning was justified.  The first short stretch led to this railway crossing.  I paused here while I convinced myself that just using the crossing would not constitute a trespass.

Steps up from the railway.  Riddlesdown, 12 January 2014.
Steps up from the railway.  Riddlesdown, 12 January 2014.
Then, some steep steps.  I found it difficult to take photos that showed the slope convincingly, but I think you can see it here.  This view is looking back down.  To the right from this viewpoint, which was to my left as I climbed on, I could see the quarry, looking very wintry.  The edge is only a few feet past the railings.

The quarry from just above the railway.  Riddlesdown, 12 January 2014.
The quarry from just above the railway.  Riddlesdown, 12 January 2014.
The summer sunshine contrasts with the shadowed area, which is still frosty and looks bluish.  That's because the sky scatters blue wavelengths sideways, leaving yellower rays to strike the chalk.

The path up the side of the quarry.  Riddlesdown, 12 January 2014.
The path up the side of the quarry.  Riddlesdown, 12 January 2014.
Does this look steep?  It felt it; and slippery, too.  I had to hang on to those railings all the way up.  I was surprised to find such a poorly made pathway after the steps earlier on.  I would have expected either much rougher steps, perhaps lengths of wood pegged into place, or a metalled path all the way up.  The actuality seemed inconsistent.

We are well past dog-walking country at this point.  But still close to civilisation.

Whyteleafe from the top of the quarry.  Riddlesdown, 12 January 2014.
Whyteleafe from the top of the quarry.  Riddlesdown, 12 January 2014.
This is the top of the quarry, looking towards the town of Whyteleafe on the far side of the valley.  I am looking over the edge that you can see on the right two photos back. 

All the photos were taken with my iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment