Wednesday 28 May 2014

Angle Shades

Angle Shades, Phlogophora meticulosa.  Near my light trap in Hayes on 21 May 2014.
Angle Shades, Phlogophora meticulosa.  Near my light trap in Hayes on 21 May 2014.
Top view.

This is a very smartly shaped and patterned moth that turned up in my garden for the first time this week.  Looking at it like this, from above, you might wonder how it got its common name.  It doesn't look angular; more scalloped, really.

Angle Shades, Phlogophora meticulosa.  Near my light trap in Hayes on 21 May 2014.
Angle Shades, Phlogophora meticulosa.  Near my light trap in Hayes on 21 May 2014.
Side view.
But it looks quite angular from the side.  You can also see the surprising display of ruffs.  It doesn't really look like the same creature from this viewpoint, except for the colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment