Wednesday 4 February 2015

Last Summer's Spiders

Wolf Spider, Trochosa species.  On my back wall in Hayes on the morning of 5 June 2014.
Wolf Spider, Trochosa species.  On my back wall in Hayes on the morning of 5 June 2014.
And now the spiders I found in and around my moth trap last year.  As a group, I think these are the prettiest apart from the moths themselves.  They are also quite varied.  This wolf spider chases down its prey, and has big eyes to see it and muscular legs to run fast.

Garden Spider, Araneus diadematus.  Near my garden light trap in Hayes on 14 September 2014.
Garden Spider, Araneus diadematus.  Near my garden light trap in Hayes on 14 September 2014.
This is our most familiar orb web spider.  The colouration varies from this medium brown to almost black.

Enoplognatha species,  probably.  Juvenile coloration.  In my garden light trap in Hayes on 18 May 2014.
Not quite sure what this one is because it is still a juvenile, but it looks like a web spinner with those long tactile legs.

Spider on the thermometer.  Probabkly Metellina merianae.  In my back garden in Hayes, 1 October 2014.
Spider on the thermometer.  Probabkly Metellina merianae.  In my back garden in Hayes, 1 October 2014.
This species lives around the mouth of caves, so feels quite at home under my balcony near my garage door!  I see the juveniles in my trap quite often.

Noble False Widow, Steatoda nobilis.  In my garden light trap in Hayes on 3 September 2014.
Noble False Widow, Steatoda nobilis.  In my garden light trap in Hayes on 3 September 2014.
This one was interesting, as well as being pretty.  Wikipedia says " it has a reputation as one of the few local spider species which is capable of inflicting a painful bite to humans, with most bites resulting in symptoms similar to a bee or wasp sting."  There was a media fuss about this Noble False Widow, sometimes just called a False Widow, in 2014.  It's not really rare, but it doesn't go about biting people, even though it could if it wanted to.

More spiders next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment