Monday 16 May 2016

More Verge Plants

Wall Speedwell, Veronica arvensis.  On the verge opposite my house in Hayes, 6 May 2016.
Wall Speedwell, Veronica arvensis.  On the verge opposite my house in Hayes, 6 May 2016.

Thyme-leaved Speedwell, Veronica serpyllifolia.  The grass verge of Farnborough Crescent, Hayes, 5 May 2016.
In the last week or two, more little plants have come into flower in the "grass" verge opposite my house, adding to those shown in this earlier post about my verge.

The tiny blue flower in the first picture is Wall Speedwell.

Not far away is the plant on the right, a Thyme-leaved Speedwell, with flowers that are violet and white. 

With the Common Field Speedwell shown in the last verge post, that makes three species of Speedwell so far.

Last year I saw the Wall Speedwell on a wall, which seemed fair enough; and the Thyme-leaved Speedwell was growing in a local park.  It's good to have them here.

In the background of the picture on the right is the Parsley-piert I showed in the previous verge post, linked to above.

In the first picture there are also some clover-like leaves.  These belong to ...


Spotted Medick, Medica arabica.  On the verge opposite my house in Hayes, 6 May 2016.
Spotted Medick, Medica arabica.  On the verge opposite my house in Hayes, 6 May 2016.
Spotted Medick.  Those tiny little yellow flowers are more like pea flowers than clover, and tell you that this belongs to the pea family, Fabaceae.  (So do clovers, but it's less easy to tell.)

Daisy and Oxeye Daisy.  Bellis perennis and  Leucanthemum vulgare.  On the verge opposite my house in  Hayes, 6 May 2016.
Daisy and Oxeye Daisy.  Bellis perennis and  Leucanthemum vulgare.
On the verge opposite my house in  Hayes, 6 May 2016.
Last for the moment - two daisies.  The common daisy on the right pops up everywhere, like dandelions.  The larger leaves belong to Ox-eye Daisy.  It seems to be well established, but is not likely to flower because its tall flowering stems will be mown off.  This one might be a bit of a cheat, because I sowed some in my tiny front plot a couple of years ago and they have probably seeded across the road here.

No comments:

Post a Comment