Wednesday 27 June 2018

A Boxful

Moths from a garden light trap in an egg box.  25 June 2018.
Moths from a garden light trap in an egg box.  25 June 2018.
When I have counted and photographed moths from my garden light trap, I tap as many as I can into one or two of these small egg boxes and then tap them out over concealing plant life.  If I am not careful, blackbirds scour the fence and the ground and pick off what they can.  In fact I have to get out just as it gets light or the blackbirds beat me to it.

Some species will fly off when tapped or persuaded out of their resting place, but many more don't seem to have the energy.  This selection includes 8 Noctuidae, 5 Geometridae, 2 Erebidae and one Sphingidae.  That relates to the numbers in the trap as well as their normal energy levels.  Noctuidae tend to just sit there, and sometimes lie on their backs.  Sphingidae hang on grimly but will fly if they can warm up.  Many Geometridae are quite frisky, and some usually escape before they can be counted.

No comments:

Post a Comment