Thursday 17 November 2011

Pink Bramble

Pink-flowered bramble, Rubus fruticosus.  Jubilee Country Park, 1 July 2011.
Pink-flowered bramble, Rubus fruticosus.  Jubilee Country Park, 1 July 2011.
Now that summer is definitely over, I can see that I have quite a few photos that I didn't post. It wasn't possible to fit everything in when it was all going on around me. But there are bugs, hoverflies, galls and a few other things that I thought were interesting or beautiful or both.

This is a bramble flower. Brambles, which give us our crop of blackberries in late summer, are a complex of microspecies and so vary quite a bit; most of them have white flowers. They grow vigorously on poor soils and are early colonisers of woodland clearings, which is what gardens are like, ecologically speaking, with predictable results. Butterflies love the flowers, and the fruits are a valuable food resource for small mammals and insects.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know all those berries were so closely related. Also, I've never seen the pink blossoms here. In Eugene, OR, lining the alleys, they made impregnably dense and thorny hedges (as well as giving me all the blackberries I could both eat and preserve), and feral animals bore their young in perfect security. We had more feral cats than you could imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your excellent, unique and original article. I've tried to locate clear information on this topic many times. You have helped make this interesting as well as clear. The thorny what is a bramble and embracing bushes. Shak.

    ReplyDelete