Sunday 27 November 2011

Scarce Umber

Scarce Umber, Agriops aurantiaria. Male. Geometer. Moth trap in Hayes, 18 November 2011.
Scarce Umber, Agriops aurantiaria. Male. Geometer.  Moth trap in Hayes, 18 November 2011.
Soon after I saw the Feathered Thorn shown in the previous post, this Scarce Umber turned up. (Despite its name, it is reasonably common.)  Like the Thorn, it wasn't actually in the trap; it was resting against the outside, in an unusual pose with its wings fully open.

The Feathered Thorn was a lively creature; I tried to calm it down by putting it into the fridge for a couple of hours, but it was still flapping, so I couldn't persuade it to pose and I only got the single position, on the bench where it was when I found it. It was in danger of damaging its wings, so I let it go.

This moth, on the other hand, was quite suggestible, and I took half a dozen different pics, including one on a fern which is close to the trap.

The open wing is shown below. You might also see that I have painted the moth trap white. This will serve several purposes. It will last longer, and survive being caught in the rain; it will be easier to see small creatures resting or crawling on it; it might reflect more light and be more attractive to insects; and I won't be bringing a horde of almost invisible beetles back into the garage (see the Feathered Thorn post)!

I will also add a head-on view that shows the antennae (and has the usual effect of making it look cross-eyed. That's an illusion, of course). The female of this species is wingless and stays on the tree; it is the feathery-antennaed male that does the flying around.



1 comment:

  1. It may be subjective (something that others wouldn't see) but when a photograph, or any works in entirely different media, seems to encapsulate intrinsically the values of later Japanese decorative art, though without borrowing design elements, I think it is a radically human event. Sorry that it takes such abstract language to say so. I refer to the Scarce Umber on the fern. It isn't only the basic shapes but also the exact tints of the colors in the light. By 'later' I mean Tokugawa through Edo.

    ReplyDelete