Wednesday 21 December 2011

Dragonflies

Broad-bodied chaser, Libellula depressa, by the pond in Spring Park, 3 June 2011.
Broad-bodied chaser, Libellula depressa, by the pond in Spring Park, 3 June 2011.
I saw quite a few dragonflies during the year, but didn't get many photos; they move too fast for me, swooping and circling, though better photographers seem to manage! The dragonfly experts recognise them in flight, from the flash of colour and their behaviour, but I can't do that. However, a few types will rest regularly, and this is what I got.

The first shot is a Broad-bodied Chaser in Spring Park, patrolling around the small pond and occasionally resting on a plant. I posted a photo of this dragonfly earlier: Broad-Bodied Chaser.

Black-tailed skimmer, Orthetrum cancellatum, perched on the ground by the middle lake.  Keston Ponds, 29 June 2011.
Black-tailed skimmer, Orthetrum cancellatum, on the ground by the middle lake.  Keston Ponds, 29 June 2011.
This one, a Black-tailed Skimmer at the much larger Keston Ponds, had a similar habit, but rested on the ground. The Chaser had brown eyes, but I really liked the colour of these, a jewel-like dark mottled green.

Common Darter dragonfly, Sympetrum striolatum.  Jubilee Country Park, 31 July 2011.
Common Darter, Sympetrum striolatum.  Jubilee Country Park, 31 July 2011.
Finally, later in the summer I saw this one by Ray's Pond in Jubilee Country Park. It chose a tall dead stalk to sit on, and looked over the pond as it rested. The pond is fenced off and I coulnd't get a better angle, but this one does show off its wings very nicely.

1 comment:

  1. I hope my hitting a wrong button doesn't make this another double posting.
    Trite as it may be, I find dragonflies the loveliest of small animals. They seem to be commoner in England and California (and I remember some in Quebec) than in Louisiana. I don't know why, unless it's the mosquito abatement here.
    Their wings are marvels, and the variety of their bodies is remarkable, as you note regarding eye color.

    ReplyDelete